Sunday, July 1, 2012

Week 4- Pleasure for the body and soul

This week has been so special. I had an oppurtunity to meet two very special people. Both of them, are from two different spheres but a shining example of what a human being should be.

On tuesday, we (interns) got a chance to meet with Mr Stuart Bird, CEO Mr Price Group. This was the first time I was meeting with a leader in the corporate world and, I was pleasantly surprised with his humility and accessibility. He spoke to us about the challenges facing the South African retail industry. He talked about how ecommerce was beginning to affect the African econimy and how retail companies, in South Africa, had to modify their approach as compared to their counterparts in the west. I left the meeting feeling totaly elated to have spoken to such an important yet grounded human being.

Then on friday, I went along with the HR department for the "Warmth Drive". The HR department at Mr price had pooled resouces and bought toys, blankets and fruits for two orphangaes in Durban. We interns went to "Esibusisweni Orphanage and Cresh", located a few miles away from the Valley of a Thousand Hills. The orphange is run by an old lady who looks after 10 children full time and around 40 others, when their parents leave for work for no money at all. The kids lovingly addressed her in zulu in a word that meant "Granny Mom"(I am sorry I cannot recall the word). The simplicity of the people working with "Granny Mom" blew me away. How many people can dedicate their lives towards making the lives of others better. We played with the children for a long time and it was heart wrenching when we had to return. While we were leaving a little girl walked up to Jenny and said "When will you be back". It broke my heart. I shall pray for their well being and hope to return before I depart from Durban. Isn't it great that, while Mr Price has a sustainable venture called Red Cap foundation the employees are still doing their bit towards society.

I tried my best to make him smile. Not very god at it. :-(

Jenny fell in love with the kids. Who wouldn't?

Huaying is always very reluctant to dance. It was a wonder when she agreed. KID POWER!

If you see on the far right you can see "Granny Mom" in a head dress.
Saturday was a beautiful winter day in Durban. The sun was out, the ocean blue and inviting and, everything was just perfect for the three of us to take our first "SURFING" lesson. And boy, did we have fun. A 30 min drive from our apartment took us to Ushaka Marine, the beachfront where we rented surfboards and jumped into the Indian Ocean with our surfing instructor. It was an hour of intense pleasure. I even managed to stand on the board for like 5 seconds in two installments. Just the thought of surfing makes me want to go back again. The rest of the day we spent lazing, at the beautiful Durban beach. it was a memorable "winter day" - Surfing on the beach.
Three First time surfers

Well, I did manage to fulfill my wish.
On Sunday we got an aerial view of Durban. David, HR at Mr price took us for a tour of the Moses Mabhida Stadium. He was accompanied by his son Benjamin, who was enjoying his winter break. The stadium had been built for the 2010 soccer world cup and is named after a famous political activist. The stadium has a sky car that takes the visitors up to the zenith, along the arch, and I got a chance to see Durban as never before. The majestic Indian Ocean on one side, the hills with houses on the other and the huge skyscapers along the downtown. A guided tour of the stadium followed and we even got a chance to see the locker rooms. David was an impeccable host and, great company as well. We had lunch by the beachfront at a bustling cafe called "Circus Circus". The taste of the steak is still lingering in my mouth as I am writing err typing this blog. "Thank you David" for such a great sunday.


Thanks David and Benjamin for the fantastic sunday

Durban Skyline- What a sight

In the locker room

Mr Price Kings Park top view
While surfing I saw a huge conatiner vessel leaving the Durban port and, I had the same thought that I had upon arrival- Had it not been for Walton College and Mr Price I would never have had an oppurtunity to quit my past job and participate in this fabulous internship. So, upon completion of my first month in Durban- "Thank you Walton & Thank you Mr Price".

No comments:

Post a Comment