Monday, July 23, 2012

Week 7- I jumped from the Karkloof Mountain

Just 3 more weeks to go and, it seems like I just arrived here, in this magical country. When I got selected for the internship, little did I know that this would prove to be such a learning experience. I am talking not just about my work, but about the culture, the tradition, the food and the most amazing set of people. On the work front, Haying and me are collaborating ideas to see how we can provide conclusive results for our projects. The stint at the head office and, the DC is making me understand the complex relationships between shipping and warehouse management. Overall, this week was hectic workwise.

Then the weekend arrived and unlike the other weekends, this weekend was an experience of another kind. Friday we left work early for a trip to the Midlands. Midlands is mainly a road touring destination. An abundance of lush green hills, variety of flora and fauna, Midmar dam and Drakensberg Mountains are just some of the attractions. Though we did not drive as far as the Drakensberg we had a most memorable time. Athi and Sam accompanied us on this trip and, as usual, they were a blast. Friday we checked into a cute little cottage and had the most scrumptious dinner at an inn called Caversham Mill. We all crashed in early that night . We wanted to be rested when we went for a adventure the next day-"Zip Lining.”

Dinner at Caversham Mill
Famous 5 in the backyard of our cottage at Hilton. Hilton is the street not the hotel. :-)
The next day we arrived at the Karkloof Canopy tours, all excited and pumped about the anticipated adventure. This was my first eco adventure and, I was super excited about the ordeal. In zip lining the user travels on pulleys over steel wires while he/she is strapped to a harness. The amazing scenery, the adrenalin rush as you move on speeds as high as 60 Km/hr, has made me a lifelong fan. The Karkloof valley and the forest provided the most amazing backdrop for the sport. The 2 ½ hour experience is something I will always cherish. After this experience we made a stop at Midmar dam and Howick falls we returned back to Durban.



Fearless five who conquered the Karkloof mountains. Huaying and Athi had a screaming competition. Who won? Well, it was a tie. Sam and Jenny were true proffesionals.

Well, for those who didn't believe how high I was- I have proof!!!

Midmar Dam
Saturday was also the beginning of Ramadan, the holy month of fasting for Muslim’s all over the world, and I hope and pray that everyone’s prayers are answered.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment